Friday, November 27, 2009

Thanksgiving

Yesterday, the kids and I went down to Orem to celebrate Thanksgiving with the Walkers.
Unfortunetly, Brad had to work at Walmart and he wasn't able to come.
I brought him back some dinner and dessert, but it still wasn't the same.
We did have a great time, and the food was amazing. The girls had a blast with their cousins. Josh mostly slept and woke up to some mashed potatoes after almost everyone had left.
I tried to talk to the girls a little bit about why we celebrate Thanksgiving, and what it means to be thankful. I asked them what they are thankful for, Hannah said "Toys".

Here is my list:

I am very thankful for my husband! He is my best friend! I am greatful to have him in my life, to love, to lean on, to share life with, to raise children with. He's my rock, he is always there to help strenghten me when I'm feeling weak, to play with the kids and take them out of the house for a half hour or longer when I've had a rough day, etc. There is also nothing like having a worthy preisthood holder as partiarch in my home. I feel safe and comfortable when he is home, watching over us.

I am very thankful for the family that I was born into. I had no choice where I would end up, but somehow I was blessed with righteous parents who raised me in the church and prepared me for life the best they knew how. I have always felt loved and that there is a place for me in my family, even being the youngest of 14, I belong. My family takes in all kinds, Son in laws (like Brad), Daughter in law's, like my brother's wives, friends etc. Being with my family yesterday, while chaotic, was very enjoyable for me, you could feel that everyone was welcome, no matter how different.

I am thankful for my testimony of my Savior Jesus Christ, his church, the scriptures, church leaders, etc.
While life can be very chaotic (especially with young children) I KNOW that there is a purpose to this life and that we are not alone. Dragging 3 kids to church each week takes a lot of work, and sometimes it feels like it's not worth it, but it IS, and I know that, and I feel that. Every week no matter the struggles to get there and stay there, I am uplifted and blessed.
I am very thankful to KNOW these things, not just "heard of" them.

I am very thankful for the family I married into! I love them all very much and am glad there is room for me in this family too. I am thankful to my Mother and Father in law for the way they raised my husband into the man he is today. He is also a strong, righteous, loving man and it takes good parenting to get to that. I am thankful for my brothers and sisters in law, even if we don't get to hang out as often as we'd like to, or aren't super close, I love every one of them and am thankful to be a part of this family. My kids also have some amazing Grandparents, Aunts, and Uncles!

I am very thankful for MY family, the children Brad and I have. Although it can be stressful and frustrating at times raising little ones, they bring so much more happiness and joy than I ever imagined. It's truely wonderful to be with little ones, Jesus loves the little ones, and it's not hard to see why. They are so full of energy, adventure, curiosity etc. It's so cool to watch them discover something for the first time. To look at them and be able to see the wheels in their head turning as they learn how to use their bodies (Josh). How something like the sounds letters make will suddenly just click and they get so excited and they love to learn (Hannah and Abby).
They teach me a lot about life, and about patience and love. I am thankful for the "lessons" I get from them, and I hope I am doing my part to teach them.

I am thankful for our health! Yes we get little colds here and there, Hannah has had stitched in her finger this summer, but compared to some, we are very blessed with our health. I probably take it for granted sometimes, but I am very thankful we have not had any major problems. No diseases, no allergies (other than seasonal in the spring), no major accidents.

I am thankful we have a warm, comfortable place to live, even though it's not a house, or a place that we own. We have a roof over our heads, we are warm, we have access to running water, a stove, microwave, etc. All these little things that add up to a lot. We are warm, we are fed. I know not everyone has that, and I'm very greatful that we do.

I am very greatful, especially in this economy, that Brad has 2 jobs. Even when we get upset about Walmart needing him so he has to miss Thanksgiving, or other things we'd rather do together. He has work, and our bills are paid, we have groceries. I am so very greatful, especially in this time of year, but definitely always, that we can pay our bills and feed our family.

There are many more little things I am thankful for that bless my life in little ways. I think I have the big things covered, for now anyway. I've been writing a while and it's time to go make some dinner that I'm greatful to eat, to feed the children I'm greatful to have!
Hope everyone had a wonderful thanksgiving, and that everyone also has blessings in their lives to be thankful for!

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

What a great post!! It was wonderful to read those things that you are grateful for. It reminded me of all the great blessings I have too. Thanks!