Saturday, July 31, 2010

Riding two wheelers

I think I've mentioned balance bikes on this blog before. I learned about them from some friends online and I liked the concept of the kids learning to balance without training wheels before having to figure out pedals too. "Real" balance bikes are pretty pricy but we made one last summer with a small kids bike that we got used for $5.

Anyway, so the girls have been practicing on that a LOT this summer and getting really good at balancing. Especially Abby, Hannah still gets pretty nervous but does well when she relaxes.
We decided to take off their training wheels on their regular bikes and practice with those.
We pretty much couldn't use the training wheels anyway because Brad ran over Abby's bike recently and broke one training wheel and the other set we had on Hannah's were poorly made and kept bending and couldn't be used right anyway.

Here is Abby riding the balance bike in the lot we practiced in today.



Abby trying out the pedal bike (Ignore the overweight mommy)



Hannah trying out the pedal bike. She isn't confident enough even though she does well. She stops too soon.



They were doing so well! We only got these 3 videos because our camera batteries died.
We're going to leave the training wheels off and they can practice with the balance or the pedal bikes as much as they want. I'm sure they will be taking off on their own pretty soon.
This whole thing is really exciting to me! I didn't learn how to ride a bike without training wheels until I was 6!

No comments: