My latest little project that I want to somehow find a way to do:
I decided to try out cloth diapering at the beginning of May this year, and I bought some that I've been using with Abby. I really like them, they arent bad at all, and are kind of cute too.
We decided to only use them at home and to use disposables when we go out or to someone's house, its just easier to not have to bring the used diapers back with us.
Lately I've been thinking about what kind of diaper to use with the new baby, I like the ones we have for Abby, they are relatively cheap too, in the world of cloth diapering at least.
But they are sized diapers, so I would need newborns, and smalls, and mediums for the baby, not to mention the covers for them. I was looking around online at other cloth diaper options and came across a cool pattern for some pocket diapers that are one size!
I asked about it on one of the message boards I go to, and people estimated it would cost me $3-$5 per diaper for the materials to make them. Thats really not bad at all! I would need about 24 of them, because I'll be diapering a newborn in the beginning, thats about 2 days worth of diapers. So thats only $72- $120 for the only diapers I will need the whole time other than the few disposables that we will use. Thats really not bad, the diapers I have for Abby were about $5 a piece, but the covers were $10 a piece, so these home made ones sound like a better deal in the long run. Plus I do like pocket diapers a lot more than fitteds because you dont need to put a cover over it, it's built in. I could not justify buying professional pocket diapers when I got the ones for Abby because they are anywhere from $15-$20 a piece, that was too much for me!
The only problem now is figuring out how I'm going to get these diapers.
I am not a sewer, I can only do a straight line, and I dont have a machine other than my tiny little shark machine that can only do a simple straight line, no backstitch.
I will need lots of help with these diapers, I think I might just try to find a seamstress who could make them for me, but then again, that probably wont be cheap either.
Maybe I can attempt one and see how it turns out.
I wish I could just buy the diapers already made for the same price it would cost me for the materials, but that wont happen. If you buy them already made, they are $17 a piece!
So for the next little while, I'll be looking at fabrics, finding out where I can get the waterproof PUL material and then deciding what I want the inner fabric to be made of, fleece or suedecloth, and where I can buy that and the price of that.
If anyone is interested in helping with this project, let me know! I know I want these diapers, they will be the best option for cloth diapers in the long run, but I just know it's going to be hard for me to do these, I am not a good sewer!
Here is the pattern, and the youtube video of how they work on all sizes of babies.
http://hyenacart.com/kaylasclothkits/index.php?c=32&p=71919
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97s5wKbS9Fg
Tuesday, August 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




8 comments:
oooh, if you buy that pattern let me borrow it! I want a cloth diaper I can use in the pool...and I think that would work! To buy one cloth swim diaper is like $12 or more, that seems expensive!
Okay - and I could probably make them for you also - too bad I live so far away! If you get the pattern let me know, we'll get some material and I'll attempt it - shouldn't be too bad (I think) Do you have a JoAnns Fabric store by you? Price out the fabric then I can just go to my local one and buy it so you wouldn't have to send it or anything...maybe just send a gift card or something? You would just have to write down the fabric SKU then I could find it at mine. Doesn't your mom sew?
And...one more thing...on that link you posted for the diaper it tells you where to go to buy them pr-made
http://hyenacart.com/prod_details_pp.php?id=52197&vid=2052
this one is only $17 plus shipping for 20 of them (If I'm reading that correctly)
scratch that - I think it's actually saying $17.95 - 15 available - meaning that's the price for one and she has 15 for sale...
Yeah, to buy them already made it's $17 each, just as much as the other pocket diapers.
It will be much cheaper to make them.
If you want to sew them, that would be great! I just bought the pattern, once I get it I can see if they recomend a certain kind of PUL material and where I can buy that from, I think you can only get PUL online.
I'm pretty sure the rest we can find at JoAnns, I'll go look at some once I get the pattern, I need to decide what will be cheaper out of the fleece or suedecloth, or see if there is anotehr fabric the pattern recomends for the inner fabric.
If you don't mind sewing them, I can go ahead and get a JoAnns gift card, or maybe just send you a check or whatever, and I'll tell you which colors I will want.
If I have to get the PUL online, I can just order it and have it sent to you.
Do you want to just make one first to see if it's even something you want to do in the first place?
I'd hate to have you get all this stuff and then hate it.
I also want to wait until I find out the baby's sex before we make a lot of them, because I will want a few that are gender specific. I think most I will want gender neutral though, so I guess we could start with those and then just make the other ones after my ultrasound on October 8th.
Anyway, so if you want to sew them, let me know, I'd sure appreciate it, and I can even pay you extra for the work involved too!
I will need 24 of them, but not until the end of February, so that would give you lots of time, you could do one every night, every other night, or every few nights, whatever you wanted and still have enough time to do them all.
And then I can pay you for the shipping costs, or if they were done before Christmas, you could just bring them with you when you come up here, aren't you bringing the baby swing anyway? Are you guys still going to be coming back for Christmas this year, since you are moving and all?
Anyway, just let me know, thanks!
Holly, my sewing skills aren't what they used to be, but I could probably help you. I could at least try. My eyes are getting so bad that it is hard for me to focus on sewing work. I know, I should just face the fact that I am old and need bifocals!
Thanks Laura!
Kristen is trying them for now, I bought the pattern and some of the fabric (enough for 5 of them).
She's going to try them and see if it works out for her to make them, she hasn't sewn diapers before.
If she ends up not wanting to do them after she makes the first, I'll let you know! Thanks!
How did they come out? Kayla here-designer of the pattern :) I saw some hits at my site from your blog and stopped by! You have to purchase PUL online. You can get suedecloth from Joanns (called Alova suede). They should have some good sales here pretty soon. If you need some PUL I would be willing to sell you some cuts here and there. I am fully stocked right now. Also, if you'd like to make it easy and get a kit you can use the discount code "kckone" for 15% off. You CAN get everything for $3-4 per diaper, but it takes some waiting because you have to buy through coops on Yahoo Groups to get the really good deals. That's why I sell the kits-to make things easy :) Best of luck!
Hi Kayla!
My friend hasn't made them yet, but will be soon. I was talking to her the other day about them and she was trying to figure out the welt pocket on them. I think she said she'll be starting soon.
She has a baby she can try them on when she is done, but I wont see them until about Christmas time, she lives in CA and I live in UT.
I bought 1 yard of the PUL and Microfleece (enough for 5 diapers) and then the notions for them. I bought it from www.verybaby.com and it turned out to be $4.60 each, and I think that was with shipping included too, so thats great! I'm going to get the rest of the fabric after the first few are made, to make sure she doesn't have a problem sewing them.
Hey, since she is sewing them and not me (I'm not a good sewer at all!) Can she be added to the yahoo group so she can ask questions if she needs to?
Post a Comment