Monday, March 10, 2014

5 years!

Josh turned 5 on February 19th!
We had a little party for him a few days before his birthday, we all had a great time.
He got some cool stuff, his favorite is probably his new green Razor scooter, and he also got a big tub of his favorite building blocks called Fisher Price Trios, they click together kind of like legos but they are sturdier and you can play with your creations without them falling apart.
 We discovered them when they had just been discontinued, but we didn't know that yet.
They are some of the most awesome toys we've had and it stinks that they are so hard to find now. Anything available anywhere, like ebay or a private seller, has the price jacked up. I was so excited to find a big bin of assorted pieces for $10, they have continued to be his favorite toys and he plays with them a lot every day.
The girls love to play with them too. I will buy more if I ever come across a great deal on them.

He does like legos too, but not as much. I made him a lego cake because I came across cute pictures online and thought it looked so easy. I originally tried to make cakes in loaf pans but to cook all the way through, they needed more time. The extra time made the tops all hard and crispy and gross. I threw out that idea and just made this 9x13 and left it in the pan instead of cutting the bricks apart.
The "pegs" are jumbo marshmallows cut in half.
I wasn't too excited with how the colors came out, mostly the green. I found a new brand of natural food colors and they were so cheap so I decided to try them. We're not 100% artificial dye free anymore, but I still try to be when I can because I prefer not to eat it, I still notice reactions with it, and we have a relative who is allergic as well.
Anyway, I found out why this new dye was so cheap, it was crappy! The green was from the "blue" dye, I was expecting a nice pastel blue. They all had a slight funky flavor too, I think it was masked by the cake and ice cream, but still. That brand is called "Color Garden", don't use it!
We all had a great time anyway, I was probably the only one who noticed a strange flavor with the frosting.

It's crazy to me that it's been a whole 5 years since we've had this cute little boy in our family.
He's doing well in preschool and he still loves it. He's such a sweet little spirit in our home and he's usually so kind and obedient, he loves to please. He's usually happy to help us with chores. He also just recently became interested in letters and writing. He can write his name now and likes to point out letters everywhere and tell us what sounds they make. He'll be in Kindergarten this fall and I think he's ready.
I love my little boy!

No comments: