You may have heard the 1 year and 20 lbs as the minimum a child has to be to turn forward facing, but that is only the BARE MINIMUM! It is MUCH safer to continue to rear face children until they reach the maximum limits on their convertible seat, which is usually 30-35 lbs depending on their seat, or when there is less than 1 inch of seat shell above their heads!
Why is it so much safer you ask?
During a crash in a forward facing position, the straps hold back the body, but the head is thrown forward. This can be fatal to young children! The neck and spine simply are not designed to stretch that much! It's called internal decapitation.
Rear facing is so much safer because in the event of a crash, the seat is what takes the crash forces, and the child's neck and spine are held in alignment!
Children between 12 months and 2 years are 4 times more likely to die in a forward facing crash than children the same ages who are rear facing!
But isn't it dangerous for my child's feet and legs to touch the back of the car?
No, that is simply not true!
There have been no documented cases of leg injuries as a result of extended rear facing.
Even if a leg were to break, they are easily fixable! Necks are not!
I never knew about extended rear facing until my first daughter was barely 2 years old.
I knew that convertible seats had higher weights than 20 lbs, but I thought it was for babies who went over 20 lbs before they were 1 year.
I researched Extended Rear Facing and decided to turn Hannah back around! She has not complained, in fact she seems more comfortable! I have decided to keep her and all my children rear facing to age 3 at least! I'm adding some links about extended rear facing, and some pictures of my children rear facing. As you can see, they ARE comfortable that way!
http://www.carseatsite.com/rf.htm
http://www.childrestraintsafety.com/rear-facing.html
http://www.freewebs.com/sacredjourneys/newbornpreschool.htm
http://www.freewebs.com/sacredjourneys/albumrearfacing.htm
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/StayRearFacing.aspx
http://babyproducts.about.com/od/carseats/qt/rear_facing.htm
http://www.carseatsite.com/RF_Handout2.pdf
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psmUWg7QrC8





















No comments:
Post a Comment